By Chris Bentley
I have been co-operating with the RYA to update our Class page and the result is quite pleasing. See http://www.rya.org.uk/racing/national-classes/Pages/hub.aspx
Also, RYA have overhauled their procedures for dealing with membership and measurement to avoid last-minute rushes prior to, eg, a National Champs which are sensible changes. An edited text from them is copied below. We have also had press coverage of the recent Inlands at Windermere and in Yachts & Yachting Sportsboat feature, See ‘About the Sonata’ on this site.
You may remember a little while ago I contacted you about the way we hope to better support your Class Association and the racing events you organise.
Below is some further information and links that you can use for your websites and to assist your sailors if they need to update or obtain measurement certificates.
Over previous years, it has been observed that some of the boats competing at RYA National Class National Championships during 2017 did not have current, valid measurement certificates as required by their class rules. Furthermore, the volume of certificates issued immediately prior to, or during these events, is significant; whether it is a simple change of ownership required or a complete new Measurement Certificate. This requires a lot of staff time to process these requests in a timely manner.
This year we have taken steps to introduce a new system which we hope will be beneficial to all the Class Associations and their sailors, ensuring all boats competing are in compliance with their class rules regarding certification, as well as alleviating pressure on the RYA in the days before the event.
The RYA Technical Department will:
– Provide Class Associations with links and information to the RYA online measurement certificate service, as well as office contacts for new certificates.
1. If sailors wish to update an existing measurement certificate with their own details, they can do this online here:http://www.rya.org.uk/youraccount/measurementcertification/Pages/default.aspx
2. If sailors require a new measurement certificate (ie. their boat has never had one before), the boat will need to have a Measurement Form completed by an RYA Class Measurer. This needs to be returned to the RYA along with payment so a Measurement Certificate can be issued. Sailors can find a list of RYA Class Measurers here.
3. Class Measurement Forms can be found on your National Class page on the RYA website here if needed.
4. Further details about Measurement Certificates and prices can be found here:http://www.rya.org.uk/racing/sail-and-measurement/Pages/measurement-certificates.aspx
5. For any questions or queries, sailors can contact the RYA Technical Department by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org.
– Three weeks before the National Championships begins, the RYA will contact the Class to review the entry list for valid certificates, and inform of non-valid entries. If entry is still open to the event or ‘entry on the day’ is accepted, we can arrange a mutually convenient date to do this entry list review.
1. Please let me know the closing date for entries for the National Championships, so we can arrange a review of the entry list for valid certificates.
Express Certification Fee
Please do make sailors aware of the new Express Certificate Fee of £20.00 which will be levied on all certificates issued within one week of the first race of the National Championships, or during the event itself. This is in addition to the normal charge of £15/£30 for RYA Members/Non-members. Please add this information on your event pages and websites, and therefore help the RYA encourage sailors to be organised.
The processes outlined above are aimed at providing an improved service from the RYA to the National Classes and providing fairer racing by ensuring all boats that compete at an RYA National Class Championship are in compliance with their respective class rules. The Express Fee is seen as an incentive for sailors who knowingly enter their class National Championships to do so with all the relevant documentation in place rather than leaving this aspect to the last minute.