I am getting the impression that more insurance companies are demanding surveys in order they may insure your Sonata. This was certainly the case with A Sharp Exit.
The surveyor I contracted to do the work insisted that I removed at least one keelbolt. This made me very nervous since should I shear one attempting to remove it, the repair would no doubt be very difficult and costly. I struck a deal where if the first bolt removed was in poor condition, I would continue removing them (replacing the previous one first).
This is how it went. With a standard wrench, I could not shift the bolt. I found a suitable piece of scaffolding tube and slipped it over the handle of the wrench thus increasing the leverage. VERY gingerly, I turned the bolt. This is the scary bit since I was unsure whether the bolt was actually turning along its whole length or was the bolt shearing somewhere along the thread. Since the force required was not actually reducing in the way I would expect if the bolt was shearing I persevered, checking to see if the bolt was lifting. Good news, it was! The bolt emerged and as can be seen from the picture was in remarkably good condition.
The surveyor was more than happy and did not require the removal of any more bolts. I replaced the bolt using plenty of sealant to keep out the moisture.
If you find yourself in a similar position then these tips may be useful.
- Use a good well fitting spanner with as long a handle as possible, extended if necessary.
- Clean the bolt head thoroughly before starting.
- Gently ease the bolt round, gradually increasing the pressure on the spanner until the bolt turns. As you continue turning make sure the bolt is lifting. It has a fairly coarse thread so will lift fairly quickly.
- When replacing the bolt use plenty of sealant to stop any water ingress. Salt water is very corrosive and will corrode both the keel and bolt threads.
- Remove one at a time, replacing the previous one first.
Finally: good luck and don’t do it unless you really have to.