I am in the process of buying a Sonata and when I get it I will need to tow it about 400 miles! It has the standard Sonata cradle with the wheels, but I need a step by step idiots guide to how I actually get it on the trailer and what type of trailer should I ask for when I phone the hire company!? How should I attach the boat and the cradle to the trailer!? How will I be able to adjust to hitch weight?
Any answers would be greatly appreciated!
Good to hear that you are buying a Sonata. Hope you join the Association
You should hire a “tilt flat bed car transporter breaked trailer with hydraulic tilt mechanism”
1. Place trailer infront or boat on cradle
2. Use hydraulic tilt to tilt the bed.
3. Attach trailer winch cable to cradle in front of keel
4. Wind boat + cradle onto tilted trailer bed making sure keel remains on centerline
5. When keel looks as though it will end up over the axles if the bed is lowered, go ahead and lower the bed slowly with the hydraulics.
6. move boat back or fwd. to obtain a towing weight on the tow hitch. (should be able to lift the hitch by hand with a grunt!)
7. Secure the cradle fore and aft with combination of ratchet strops and the trailer winch.
8 Use ratchet strops from trailer right over the boat fore & aft to secure boat + cradle down to the trailer.
To remove baot from trailer reverse the process.
It’s really easy!
Call me if you want more advice! (01794) 515044
DON’T FORGET TO BRACE THE BOAT AT THE REAR TO STOP IT ROLLING TO FAR FORWARD AND OFF THE FRONT OF THE TRAILER. (NO KIDDING – MY FATHER DID IT. ONLY A HASTILY PLACED CHOCK STOPPED THE BOAT GOING THROUGH THE SUNROOF OF THE TOW CAR.)