Two of our deck stanchions have worn through at the top. Caused by the stainlass steel guard rail wire which used to be plastic coated.
We will have to replace them this winter, has anyone used a stainless steel stanchion and if so which type.
Any other suggestions?
Mine did as well. As I did not want to use stainless steel stanchions I decided to look for another solution.
The top bit of the original stanchion can be removed as it has a thread, so you can screw it off. I had a local workshop make new caps and I replaced them in the old stanchions. The result is that I have aluminium stanchions with a stainless steel top. It cost me about 50 euro per stanchion (some 35 pounds) and I had to renew the guard wire.
Seperate stanchions will be somewhat cheaper, but then you don’t have the looks 😉 and you’ll have to replace the wire anyway.
If you choose my method, be sure to take the right type of stainless steel.
I will post some pictures later.
Best regards, Robert
There was some discussion on this way back in the dark ages in 1999. See this entry in the archives.